Monday, January 18, 2010

It goes on.

It’s interesting that some people can go about their day, working independently, competently… until someone else shows up… and then they have to run every decision by the other person. Some wives complain that their husbands are that way as parents... alone, they are great! But when the wife shows back up, all of a sudden she is shouldered with the work! Where does that sudden feeling of incompetence come from? Or maybe it's a sudden lack of confidence? Does the person think his or her decisions will be scrutinized? I don't know what it is, but today it's making me want to go hide in another office and be unavailable! But enough ranting...


I love days like today when students are out of the building and I can have a lot of uninterrupted time (except for every ten minutes when I'm making a decision the secretary can make when I'm not here) to get projects done. I always feel sheepish when I say those words... "I like it when the students are gone!" Obviously, students ARE my job, but there are so many other parts to it that are hard to do with a constant trickle of "new business" coming through my door!

I'm come to the conclusion - much like the decision I made when McKenna was a baby - that there are some things that I have to let go of. I started this school year with the ambitious idea that I would get into five classrooms a day. Guess how many I've been in since we got back after the holidays? ...oh... ten... TOTAL. I want to do everything the way I know it should be done, but the reality is - it can't happen. There simply are not enough hours in the day, and that just needs to be okay.

So... I won't get into as many classrooms, and my house will be dustier than it should...and life will go on. Robert Frost once said, "
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." Amen.

1 comment:

Pat said...

You're experiencing the perennial administrator's conundrum. Who ARE these people who write the list of what an admin SHOULD be doing? Certainly not someone who's ever done the job. Ding ... it's God in disguise!