Wednesday, January 6, 2010

No embarrassing accolades.

The school district is moving to a Microsoft Exchange server and in the process, moving everyone to Outlook 2007 for email rather than QuickMail, the inane program we used before, which was anything but ("quick"). Ever heard of Quickmail? Right. No one has. Anyway, I boycotted QuickMail a long time ago and have always used Outlook.
I love Outlook's calendar feature with its color-coding and its reminders that pop up with a melodic "ding" that tell me what to do throughout the day! I'm afraid of what would happen if we lost power at school! ...without those reminders, I'd just sit at my desk with a little spittle dribbling down from the corner of my mouth, paralyzed, not knowing what to do. I sync Outlook to my Blackberry, without which I could not manage my life (I KNOW, it's exciting to think about - you probably have little butterflies in your stomach as I talk about it too!) 

Anywho, due to my unnatural love affair with the program (which is likely illegal in a few states and/or municipalities), I've been one of the Outlook trainers thus far. Today, I was explaining the calendar features to one of the secretaries-the only one who makes appointments for other people (someone who most certainly would see the value and multi-dimensional utility of this marvelous program.) I was getting more and more worked up, gesticulating wildly, bubbling on about the calendar sharing features which will do away with the archaic paper system she uses now - by this point, I'm pretty sure spit flew from my mouth at least once as I excitedly spewed fascinating details about the program. 

Finally, I looked up with a huge smile on my face, anticipating an embarrassing accolade and quite possibly an inappropriate embrace from the woman! What do I see? NOTHING. Not a response. Crickets chirping. What delusional little place inside me thinks I can change anyone's mind? When she walked away with a semi-polite, "Neat! I bet that will be hard to learn!" I thought of the exchange between Sally and her friend, Marie about a married man Marie is dating in When Harry Met Sally, one of my favorite movies:

Marie: The point is, he just spent $120 on a new nightgown for his wife. I don't think he's ever gonna leave her.
Sally: No one thinks he's ever gonna leave her.
Marie: You're right, you're right, I know you're right.

 Are some people so closed, they will never look for a better way?

2 comments:

Pat said...

Yep - but all the spit flying may have been what sealed the deal for the secretary

Jennfier said...

Yeah all that spit probably turned her off. She's probably thinking "if this program turns me into a looney like Susan...I'll pass...)

Actually, I'm not NEARLY as busy as either of you but even I see the benefit in an office setting. I have yet to get the simplest dates on my calendar (family birthdays/anniversarys)and very rarely sync my blackberry because when I DO it duplicates the FEW things scheduled ALL the time & it drives me NUTS!!! I mean I know I don't have 6 nail appointments on the same day at the same time but apparently my calendar doesn't.