Monday, January 25, 2010

Does that make me an idiot?

I got an email from a woman at work - I had been cc:ed (although I couldn't tell that right away by looking at the message in my inbox). The subject line said "JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW." In my mind I was opening one of those mushy emails that has a nice statement about how much someone appreciates you...

The sender is the records clerk so this is a very busy time of year for her. It turns out it's something about how she had to change a grade for a student for one reason or another.

Does that make me an idiot? Perhaps.

1 comment:

Pat said...

No - One of my Uncle Dale's favorite stories was about my cousin Dick (Richie) when he was a little kid and went fishing with his dad. Rosie had packed them sandwiches - pbj for Richie. Richie had caught a few fish, so his hands smelled fishy. When he raised the sandwich up to his mouth, he smelled his hands and said "Oh good! Tunafish!" Then he bit into the sandwich.

What he got didn't match his expectations. Both of you were operating on a little unintended misinformation and got a surprise.

But, in case you're wondering whether anybody appreciates you, I do. Even though I'm not there, I know how you work and how you treat people. And that's certainly worthy of appreciation.

Speaking words of appreciation and encouragement is something most of us do too infrequently.