Sunday, January 31, 2010

January whizzes by in a blur.

January is gone. January seemed to fly by in such a hurry, it's hard to believe half of the school year is over. I listened to an article on NPR about the reason time seems to fly by faster as you get older... fascinating stuff... It sure makes me want to go out and find new and novel things to do to put the skids on this perpetual state of fast-forward I feel like I'm in!

When I take a look at what I set out to do - to write in the blog every day, I can say I did okay! I think I see 31 posts in January, and while that is cheating a little (a couple of posts on a couple of days; no posts on a couple of others,) I'll take it.

My plan to exercise... isn't going so well. I have had one hell of a month at work and I'm so mentally and physically exhausted when I come home, I can't fathom one more thing to do. I tell myself I'll get up extra early and jump on the treadmill, but that alarm rings and I just want more sleep. I know I need to change my expectations of myself when it comes to exercise. When I think about gettting on the treadmill, I make myself think I need to dedicate 45 minutes to an hour. If I would change my thinking and expect to spend 20 minutes on it, maybe I'd be more inclined to do it! 20 minutes might become more, but at least it would be something (yea - something like 20 minutes more than I'm doing now!)

I'm not watching as much TV as I had been, but frankly, it's mostly because I'm averaging 11 hours a day at work and I'm too tired to do anything but fall into bed and sleep. I have been pushing myself to write each day and I work on my online classwork too, but I've been good about doing those without the distraction of the TV. The other reason I'm not watching as much TV is because I have a ten-year-old who has decided snuggling in bed with mom is the best thing to do each night, so it's nice to enjoy my thoughts, the quiet tapping of the keys, and the peaceful sound of a sleeping kid.

My third resolution (you know, the one I won't tell anyone about?) comes and goes... some days I'm really proud of myself, and other days I beat myself up over not improving... such is life, huh?

1 comment:

Pat said...

I love what you write, Susan. Every day, I look for what you have to say. I'm going to have to check out the NPR link. I have my own theory about why time flies faster as we get older; I wonder if the NPR guy's thoughts are anywhere in the ballpark with mine.

A thought about that ten-year-old: She wants more to snuggle in bed with Mom - and she wants more often to come to grandma's after school. I wonder what's up?