Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Something's got to give.

It's that time of year again. The end of the semester brings with it students who are in tears because as it turns out, a last ditch effort most often isn’t enough. Students find out they need to repeat a class and parents decide it's time to actively... parent... and no one is happy.

Seniors are usually the most riled up because the fruits of their labors (or the consequences for their inaction) will come the soonest. The same parents who complain because we treat their kid like a baby (“He’s 18 years old for chrissake!”) are complaining because we talked with the kid about it, but not them (so they could badger the 18 year old to get out of bed in the morning….the same 18 year old who is the adult…)

I look down the hall to the advisement center and see kids who were “exited” from school last semester who are ready to try again… and it makes me tired… I so hope they really ARE ready to try again…

It’s times like this that it feels like everyone wants a piece of me, and all of my pieces are disappearing to quickly! It seems like I have 18 hours of work to do each day between school and UOP; keeping the kids happy; keeping John happy (I’m certainly failing THERE these days); and feeding myself what I need to survive: I need 8 hours of sleep, time to be alone, and time to exercise… and somehow, it’s not adding up! Something’s got to give.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Oh Susan - My mother's heart aches for you. I want so much to give you a hug and give you a soft place to rest. Remember your post - Address the gap? Do it. You're too important to yourself, John, your kids,and all of us not to. And you're the only one who can.

Unknown said...

Be kind to yourself. You can only perform so many miracles in a day.

From a practical standpoint, do a pro/con list on all your obligations. That may give you a clear picture as to what you can eliminate.

You only have so much to give, and Susan is always coming up short. Just like on an airplane... put the oxygen on yourself first.

love you

Me. said...

Don't worry, mom! I think it's just the typical "bullet deflecting" that all admin do for teachers at this time of year. I have had three different teachers in my office who were in tears about interactions with students or parents. tough stuff for them...

Pat said...

I DO worry when you talk about feeling like you're losing pieces of yourself. I know it's a tough time of year - and I definitely do know the feeling of dealing with parents, students, and teachers weeping in your office. Whose shoulder can YOU cry on? Sometimes you need one, but you have to buck up so your shoulder is available for the next customer. Do consider "addressing the gap." Love you...