Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Everything's temporary given enough time.


These are tense times in high school. Seniors who are failing are freaked out - their parents are more freaked out... Juniors who are failing are mad - their parents are more mad... Sophomores who are failing are apathetic - their parents are too... and finally, Freshmen who are failing are still in denial that they have to take a class over again (or several classes over again) - and oddly enough, their parents are too! I have been yelled at, cried at, and cussed at today. I got into my car, cranked the tunes, and took the long way home - pulling over to enjoy the view of the river along the way!

There are some CDs that just take me away from everything! I love listening to Jewel. When I first heard about her as an artist, I was skeptical... seriously - get a real name! Then I started listening... really thinking about what her music says. Although sometimes her lyrics are a little "colorful," the underlying message is one I want my daughters to hear. She sings about being yourself and not being judgmental... One of my favorite songs is called "Stephenville, TX" (which sounds a little "Bob Dylanish" to me). Her lyrics can be a little nonsensical, but I just love them - they make me forget about the dozen more unpleasant phone calls left to make tomorrow.

Take a listen to Stephenville, TX:

I'm trying to figure out who I am
But there's no hand to hold, no Doctor Martin Luther King
There's just sycophants
And the mindlessness on TV or in the magazines
On the latest ways to behave
So why not follow me, the blond bombshell deity?
I'll sell you neat ideas without big words
And a little bit of cleavage to help wash it all down...

1 comment:

Pat said...

Well, I've never heard Jewel before, but I listened to the song and really like it. One of the things I love about your mothering, Susan, is exactly what you talked about in this post: helping your daughters learn to be themselves and not be judgmental. It was my greatest hope for you, and you're definitely there. I'm so proud of you. It only makes me sad to see you be so hard on yourself all the time. One of Jewel's lines in this song says: "I'm only (fill in yours or my or anyone's age); that ain't the end - it sure ain't where I began." We all need to be patient with ourselves and with one another - God's not done with us till we're dead. I love you.