Tuesday, March 9, 2010

James and the giant... story.

Good grief... it's been a long time it seems...

I have been thinking about a student at school who I have worked with a lot. Last year James had a conflict with a teacher (who I think fanned the flames rather than tried to deescalate the situation). His dad came in and talked with me... dad didn't defend his actions, but was definitely there to support his son (as any good parent would do). Dad filled me in on the family situation.

James' mom and dad were not married. He has his mother's last name, but bio dad has been involved from the get-go. They have joint custody. James stays with bio dad and his wife (who both have normal jobs and who have no kids together - I don't think) Wednesday through Saturday. James stays with mom and her boyfriend the rest of the week. Mom has multiple jobs to support the slug she lives with. He comes and goes depending on the direction of the wind. I took that report with a grain of salt - it DID come from the other man...

As I worked with James more, I saw that he easily could get worked up in anger to the point of tears. He is a kid with a very athletic body and participates in "MMA" or mixed martial arts. Note: MMA and a short fuse is not a great combination. He has always been okay with me in my office, but I know he can blow. I had him in my office once after a teacher backed him into a corner. He was so pissed off, he could hardly speak. He ended up so mad in my office, he was in tears. The next 90 minutes in my office was a WAVE of information about his life...

His mom's boyfriend is so violent that there isn't a window in the house that hasn't been broken. Doors have been kicked in, mom and other siblings have been hit. James told me the boyfriend has tried to hit him too, but stopped when he fought back.

I asked him why he wouldn't just move out and live with his dad where things are balanced and calm. He said he wouldn't move out because his mom and his younger siblings need him to protect them.

I can't imagine what he goes home to...

More tomorrow...

4 comments:

Pat said...

Wow! He's lucky to have you to vent to. I'll stay tuned

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about James since reading this last night. I'm so hoping for a happy update.

Unknown said...

aren't you back YET? now i will begin whining. you've been warned...

Me. said...

Hold your horses! I was busy watching the Rustlers bury the Bears in an awesome final game!