Tuesday, April 6, 2010

15-2; 15-4.

I attended the first half of a grant writing workshop yesterday. It has been hosted by the Police Department so there were lots of public-sector types there. It was solid information from 9:00 to 4:00 with a break for lunch and WOW! did I learn a lot!


The girls had school today, so after I took them to school, I had an hour and a half to kill before I need to be back to the PD, so I stopped at a coffee shop with free WiFi (hold on, isn't that ALL coffee shops now? ...except Starbucks? ...where nothing is free...) I love this particular coffee shop downtown where the floors are creaky and it smells like one of the oldest buildings I used to love on my college campus. I have been sitting here doing a little work on my online class and visiting with a few people who are coming and going (you know how I love small talk!)

Just as I settled in to write about something really meaty - like processing what I thought about yesterday at the workshop, I hear the familiar cracking of a deck of cards on a wooden table, quiet shuffling, and very deliberate dealing of cards... and then the "15-2; 15-4..." Two old guys enjoying each other's company, ribbing each other mercilessly as they go over the details of each other's Easter family gatherings "did she make you sit by her son-of-a-bitch brother-in-law like you thought she would?" Ha ha ha! "How about you - did your grandson pull out your tulips?" cackle cackle cackle...  Life is good, isn't it?

I'll process the workshop later - this eavesdropping opportunity is too good to miss.

3 comments:

Pat said...

I've played cribbage before - many times. Well, not like Grandpa or your dad. But I've played it plenty. When I read the count that you wrote: "15-2, 15-4," my mind completed it: "15-2, 15-4, 15-6, Yahtzee!" Shows how much I remember! I actually made MYSELF giggle ...

Unknown said...

15-2, 15-4 and there ain't no more.

Mt gal said...

Now if we can only find a spot with adult beverage that also has wi-fi!