Monday, February 1, 2010

The grass isn't always greener.

I went with a group of teachers to another AA high school today to observe some of the things they are doing with co-teaching and differentiated instruction. Every time I go on a school visitation, I feel fortunate to work where I do. We have such good high schools here and we really are doing so many great things! Sure, we have room for improvement, but we are on the right track!

One of the classrooms I visited had a regular education teacher and a special education teacher as "co-teachers." When I walked in, the regular ed teacher was lecturing to the whole class while the special ed teacher was seated at the desk doing paperwork. I asked her later what she felt her role in the classroom was and she said, "I grade papers, keep the gradebook up to date, and make parent phone calls when students are two or more assignments behind." Um... I think what we have here is an over paid teachers' aide! I cannot believe any certified teacher would allow herself to be underutilized in that way! On the other hand, the regular ed teacher has a pretty cakey deal! No papers to grade and none of those pesky parent contacts!

I saw some neat things one teacher was doing with differentiation...and some not so great things another teacher was doing... in all, I came back with the understanding that the grass isn't always greener. We need to take a look at all the things we are doing right and be proud of those efforts... and then we need to be a little dissatisfied with where we are and strive to get better.

No comments: